The Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety
Attention! The information on this page may save your life or the lives of your friends and family.
The Four Primary Rules of Firearm Safety
HUNTERS CARRYING FIREARMS
1. Watch that muzzle!
→ Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times.
HUNTERS UNLOADING FIREARMS
2. Treat every firearm with the respect due a loaded gun.
→ It might be loaded, even if you think it isn’t.
NEVER SHOOT AT A SKY LINED ANIMAL
3. Be sure of the target and what is in front of it and beyond it.
&RARR; Know the identifying features of the game you hunt. Make sure you have an adequate backstop—don’t shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.
HUNTER WITH FINGER OUTSIDE TRIGGER GUARD
4. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
→ This is the best way to prevent an accidental discharge.
ADDITIONAL RULES ABOUT FIREARMS SAFETY
REMOVING OBSTRUCTION FROM FIREARM
5. Check your barrel and ammunition.
→ Make sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions, and carry only the proper ammunition for your firearm.
CASING GUN FOR SAFE SUPPORT
6. Unload firearms when not in use.
→ Leave actions open, and carry firearms in cases and unloaded to and from the shooting area.
SAFE FIREARM CARRY
7. Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
→ Avoid all horseplay with a gun.
TWO HUNTERS SAFELY CROSSING FENCE
8. Don’t run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
→ Unload a firearm before you climb a fence or tree, or jump a ditch. Pull a firearm toward you by the butt, not the muzzle.
FIREARM SAFE FOR STORAGE
9. Store firearms and ammunition separately and safely.
→ Store each in secured locations beyond the reach of children and careless adults.
NEVER DRINK AND SHOOT!
10. Avoid alcoholic beverages before and during shooting.
→ Also avoid mind or behavior-altering medicines or drugs.
Joe Maldonado, also known as Joe Exotic, is and entertainer and the manager of the Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park and Wildlife Sanctuary located in Paul’s Valley.
Joe is dedicated to educating gun owners and teaching them how to always operate their weapons safely. He also supports education and resources for those struggling with Meth addiction.
Joe is a frequent speaker on a variety of issues around Oklahoma City and will come to your meeting place, where ever you are and speak for free.
Discount Guns, Paul’s Valley